Connect with us

New York Jets

Jets could have more options at DE after Raiders cut Bruce Irvin

The Raiders have cut DE Bruce Irvin, reports Vic Tafur of The Athletic, giving the Jets a potential option to bolster their defensive line. Because Irvin wasn’t on the NFL wire today, ESPN’s Adam Schefter points out he won’t be made available until 4 p.m. on Monday.

The Jets have made previous efforts to improve their defensive line this season. Most notably, the team tried acquiring Khalil Mack before he was ultimately shipped to the Chicago Bears. 

Irvin enjoyed a career year last season, totaling 58 tackles and eight sacks as a linebacker. But the 31-year-old, who was moved to defensive end this season, has taken a step back statistically and in terms of playing time, as he has registered just six tackles to go along with three sacks.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden had limited Irvin’s playing time as of late, which he said is because he didn’t fit the role he needed on his defense.

“No disrespect to Bruce. He’s an edge rusher,” Gruden said earlier in the week, per Scott Bair of NBC Sports. “We haven’t had a lead. We haven’t had the opposition behind in the chains a lot.

Still, Irvin’s three sacks would be tied for the most among anybody on the Jets’ defense. DE Leonard Williams has three sacks, all of which came in a two week span, and LB Brandon Copeland also has three sacks this season.

Overall, the Jets rank 24th with 17 total sacks so far this season, making Irvin an intriguing option to explore.



Source Link

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in New York Jets